G. (George) Stanley Wilson
G. Stanley Wilson began his career as a carpenter in 1901 Riverside. His first major project was Greystones, working for Donald J. McLeod, at 6190 Hawarden Drive. His first important solo commission was a house for C.O. Evans, in 1908, at 4622 Indian Hill Road. The huge 10-room, two-story house was constructed of redwood, brick, and concrete, with a double-gabled roof and half-timbered walls. Wilson used a photograph of the house in his advertising a many commissions followed.
In 1909, he opened his own office and began to work on projects for Frank Miller at the Mission Inn. He worked under architect Myron Hunt on the Spanish wing including the dining room and Spanish Art Gallery.
In 1915, he built his own home, a five-room bungalow on the southwest corner of Market and Fourth streets. He lived there with his wife, Mildred, and growing family. In 1926, they added a second story and in 1927, the Casa De Anza Hotel with several apartments was added next door. After World War II, the original home was removed to make room for a swimming pool and additional single story rooms. The hotel is now called the Santa Cruz Inn.
Wilson became Frank Miller’s architect at the Mission Inn and designed and built the Rotunda and the St. Francis Chapel. Many Riverside homes and public buildings designed by Wilson are still standing. The most notable include Park Avenue Baptist Church, Simmons Mortuary, the Aurea Vista Hotel, Palm Elementary School, the J.R. Willis, the Riverside City College Quadrangle, the Soldier’s Memorial Auditorium (started by Arthur Benton competed by Wilson), Grant Elementary School, St. Francis de Sales Catholic Church Convent and school, and All Saints Episcopal Church.