Alfred M Lewis
A. M. Lewis built his grocery empire from humble beginnings after coming to Riverside in 1885. He worked his way up in the grocery store belonging to Benjamin and John Rockhold and went into business on his own with partner Albert Thresher in 1906.
By the time Lewis retired in 1939 he had built 36 warehouses tactically placed throughout the western states. A. M. Lewis, Incorporated became one of the largest wholesale food distributors and institutional suppliers in the state. He maintained his corporate offices in Riverside.