Riverside’s Wood Streets neighborhood began its existence in 1910, when Dr. Edward H. Wood subdivided his large property on Homewood Court. Dr. Wood owned the historic 1888 Ames-Westbrook House, located on the corner of Brockton Avenue and Homewood Court, where he also had his medical practice.
Dr. Wood was born in Hartlepool, England in 1870 and came to the United States where he received his medical degree from the Baltimore College of Physicians and Surgeons. He arrived in Riverside in 1904, initially establishing his medical practice in Arlington and becoming superintendent of the Riverside County Hospital, a position he held until 1928. He was also a director of Citizens National Bank. He died on March 21, 1934. His grandson, Edward Kenneth Wood was a principal at Magnolia and Victoria Schools in Riverside.