Heber Charles Parks
Heber Parks was the first driver for the stagecoach line that eventually delivered guests from the rail line at Spadra, near Pomona, to the Glenwood, the pre-cursor of the Mission Inn.
Heber’s father, Judge Arthur Parks, a Justice of the Peace, bought land from Louis Rubidoux. When the Millers arrived in the area in 1874, it was Parks that picked them up. The Santa Ana River happened to be flooding and Parks took the Miller family to his parents’ home in Jurupa to wait out the flood for the next week.
As the rail lines were extended, the stagecoaches were no longer needed, and Heber stopped driving in 1874. He opened a grocery store in San Bernardino. Heber purchased a part of his father’s holdings in 1884. That same year, Heber was elected constable of Agua Mansa. He held other civic positions including registrar of voters, elections inspector, and school board member.