Located on what is today, Strong Street, Elliota Springs or White Sulphur Springs was initially discovered by area Native Americans. Riverside Colonist Dr. James Greves bought the property in 1876 and 10 years later sold it to William Elliot from Aurora, Illinois.
The hot sulfur springs fed a pool that attracted Hollywood celebrities who would lodge at the Mission Inn and be ferried to the hot springs in carriages. Luminaries included Buster Keaton and Houdini, who once performed the rescue of a girl in a locked box at the bottom of the pool. Filming of swimming scenes in movies was frequent, as moviemakers prized the clarity of the water.