Charles T Rice
Captain Charles Thomas Rice, a Civil War veteran, arrived in Riverside with his family in 1880. Rice went to work with Augustus Boggs, architect and contractor, and helped build the first Boggs family home on Market at Ninth Street. As a contractor, Rice built the home of John T. Jarvis on Twelfth Street at Redwood Drive and supervised the construction of the Lorenzo Scranton home at 4595 University Avenue. He was a carpenter for the Ames-Westbrook house at Brockton Avenue and Homewood Court.
Captain Rice gave his name to Rice Road which commemorates Rice’s pioneering effort to encourage the use of terraces to plant citrus. Terracina Drive is the location of his experiment on the south side of Tequesquite Arroyo.
The Rice’s daughter, Anna, married Joseph Bordwell, and their son and Rice’s grandson, Alden Bordwell, became a beloved doctor in Riverside. Bordwell Park is named for Dr. Bordwell, and he is the father of Little League baseball in the city.